Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Ready

208.4

A friend recommended a book for me to read, and it just arrived from Amazon yesterday. It's "Ready: Why Women Are Embracing the New Later Motherhood." Basically, it explores the growing trend of women deferring children until after age 35 and the social ramifications of this trend. Interesting stuff.

I posted a few weeks ago some of my ruminations about the prospect of becoming a mother (http://lovesseabass.blogspot.com/2008/03/motherhood.html). I freely admit that I am one to over-think things. . . . but I think parenthood in particular is something that should not be approached lightly and without reflection about one's motives. In my observation of the world, I note many people who became parents by accident rather than design, as well as people who became parents by design, but for the wrong reasons.

Whatever my doubts about the realities of motherhood and how it would fit in with my life, having a child of my own is something I want to do. . . . and I think that I want it for the right reasons. I am emotionally mature and settled in my own life so that I believe I could provide a solid foundation of security for a child. I absolutely love children and always have, and I am good with them. (I have several friends with kids aged newborn to 16 who will vouch for me on this one.) I realize that it is a little early at 7 months to say for sure, but I think that MM and I have a good "peer" relationship that is stable and will continue indefinitely. I believe that having a child of my own would bring a lot of joy and greater meaning to my life. And given how many other people seem to have successfully navigated the world of working motherhood, I trust that I am underestimating myself when I doubt whether I can do it, too.

In the past several weeks, I've come to a decision. (Yes, my prior post about motherhood was part of this decision-making thought process.) When I complete my current package of birth control bills, I am going to stop taking them. I don't know that I would say I am going to actively try to become pregnant at that point, but I am going to stop preventing that possibility.

I have talked with MM about this, and he is totally OK with this decision. In fact, he is in full support of it and has hoped that I would stop taking the pill a while ago. He fully expects and intends that we will be getting married before the end of the year, and he thinks there's no time like the present for us to "get started" on having a child, particularly because of my advanced (ha ha) age.

So we shall see. As I shared with a friend, in putting this decision into action, I have two fears: one is that I won't be able to get pregnant at all, even when I'm actively trying; the other is that I will get pregnant right away. LOL

2 comments:

JessiferSeabs said...

Way to pull the goalie! How exciting!

Land family said...

My knowledge might be totally outdated (haven't been in the baby making business in 6 years!), but "back in the day", they were advising that you give your body a month or so to fully build back the uterine lining. It is kept thin when you are on the pill, and in its normal state it is thicker to hold the fertilized egg in the early stages. Of course I have a good friend who has gotten pregnant twice on the pill so it isn't a given, just a good idea.

Another hint: start drinking green tea once a day. It tastes like sewer water on its own, but buy green tea with mint and it's totally doable. It's supposed to help "prime" your eggs.

Good luck whatever you choose! :)