Tuesday, February 26, 2008


205.8 (not bad, could’ve been worse)

I’m typing this as I’m on a flight to San Francisco and will post it once I check in to my hotel and have wireless internet access. I’m going to San Francisco because I’ll be attending a deposition this afternoon and two more depositions tomorrow before flying back to Phoenix tomorrow evening. The witnesses for these depositions are the plaintiff, his mother, and a family friend in one of my more interesting medical malpractice cases; I’m actually looking forward to them because I think they will probably be interesting. Also, after spending so much time working on this case, I’m just curious to see them face-to-face. I am not the attorney taking the lead on the depositions, so that’s less stressful for me, too.

It’s also fun to visit a different city. Although I’ve been to SF before, it’s been about six years. I won’t have much time to explore, but a change of scene is nice. Though I am leaving a shitload of work I could be doing behind in the office these two days. Ah well.

I once again had a busy weekend. Friday night, MM and I went to dinner, then decided we were both too tired for a late movie and just hung out at his house instead. Saturday morning, Mom and I went to brunch, then to my office for a couple of hours where she helped me with some file organization I’d been putting off.
Saturday night I drove up to Tucson to attend friend L’s bachelorette party. The party was fun, and it was good to see several friends/acquaintances from my old job. I stayed out really late for me: past midnight! ;) I limited myself to four drinks, despite the temptation to have more, and I was still tired the next day. (Did I mention that two of the drinks were a Jello shot in the shape of a penis—complete with testicles—and a “blow job”?)

I stayed with my friend M at my old house in Tucson, who woke me up early on Sunday (at my request) so that we could chat before she headed out for the day. (We knew it would probably be the only chance we’d have to see each other and talk while I was in town.)

Mid-morning on Sunday I picked up my CASA child M for an outing. Because Friday was M’s 8th birthday, I let her choose what we would do; she wanted to see the Hannah Montana concert movie. Between the movie and the toys I bought her, I think she was happy with how the day turned out. ;)

I drove home to Phoenix in the late afternoon. Within an hour of arriving home, MM came to take Mom and me out to dinner and a movie. We enjoyed our dinner, but didn’t much care for the movie, Be Kind Rewind. But MM couldn’t complain much because it was his suggestion. LOL

So that was my weekend. In addition to drinking alcohol on Saturday night, I didn’t eat very well. Not huge amounts, but I have definitely not been following the South Beach plan: I didn’t eat a single meal at home, the only vegetables I had all weekend were in my salad at last night’s dinner, and trips to Arby’s and McDonald’s were some of my meals. Ugh. While I am out of town today and tomorrow, I am going to try to get back on track; I really have no reason not to. I’m going to work out at the hotel’s gym this evening, and MM and I are going to go to LA Fitness together on Wednesday and Thursday nights when I return.
I’m lucky that Mom is in town for this trip because she is taking care of Sebastian for me. The poor boy has been sadly neglected by me over the past few days; I know he’s glad that “Grandma De” is here to fill the void. He looked very sad when he saw me leaving this morning.

That’s my life in a nutshell. I’ve been too busy to do much deep thinking of late: I have lots of irons in the fire at work, and the things I’m working on generally require focused attention. Even my drives to and from Tucson were not times for quiet reflection because I used the time to call friends I haven’t talked with in weeks and catch up.

It’s ironic, too, that I’ve been particularly busy of late because I was finally beginning to feel some motivation to get my apartment organized and decluttered. But it’s pretty hard to do that when you aren’t even sleeping at home four nights out of a week.

I’m happy with my life. I sometimes think, though, that it’s so full now, between work, MM, my friends, my family, and my volunteer work with CASA, that I really don’t have time for anything else. Yet in spite of this thought, I am planning to take on more volunteering as a pet therapy team with Sebastian and even contemplate having a child in the not-so-distant future. Oh well. I suppose, like anyone else, I will somehow manage to find a way to juggle all the things I want to do. It’s hard to imagine how I will continue to be a good employee, daughter/sister, friend, and girlfriend if I have a child, though.


Cindy said...

You sound like me - happy when you're busy. My life the last few years before this job was very calm and I really let myself go. With the new job, wedding planning house buying, I'm actually happier and more focused. I think you can do it all!