Thursday, February 07, 2008

Out of the office

203.6

I'm at a deposition this morning. I'm glad to be out of the office; I have been writing or doing research all week, and it was getting a little old. The plaintiffs' attorney is long-winded, which is boring but also means a longer deposition and thus more time out of the office.

I'm feeling pretty well today. Still a little cough, but overall I seem to be coughing less. I'll be going to the gym with MM this evening, and I'm looking forward to it.

After the gym, MM is taking Mom and me to dinner. We will probably get pizza; I'm hoping we will go to a little place that offers whole wheat crust and salads with tofu.

I hope MM and Mom like each other. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Why is it so difficult and slow to lose weight? I've been following SB Phase 2, eating veggies, drinking lots of water, went to the gym on Tuesday, walked the dog the past two evenings, and still the scale is staying about the same: just under 205. When I was gaining weight, I know it came on more quickly then this; I gained about 15 lbs in less than 3 months leading up to my planned wedding to SL alone.

Ah well. I guess I should count my blessings that my constant battle with weight is my only physical struggle: I don't have asthma, allergies, diabetes, drug addiction, or mental illness. Well, and my migraines, but they are not frequent, thank God.

I will say this: eating the way I have been over the past 4+ weeks, my energy level has been much higher and more constant. Going along with that, I've also felt a lot clearer mentally. I occasionally have an urge to eat chocolate, and I still think longingly of cake, brownies, and the like, but I wouldn't say I crave them; the urges are totally mental, not physical at all. I genuinely feel that I could continue to eat this way indefinitely.

I've also really enjoyed getting back to the gym. In fact, I was quite bummed when my bronchitis derailed my gym routine. MM provides good motivation for me on the exercise front because he's so dedicated; when we have plans to go to the gym together, I never consider skipping.

The view I'm taking now of the whole diet/exercise thing is that I am going to have to make daily efforts for life. I'm interested to see what effect my improved diet and increased exercise will have on my cholesterol levels when I go back to the doctor in July. Obviously, I hope that my efforts will get my numbers into a healthy range. I'd also like to look better, but this time appearance is definitely secondary in my mind.

And as I have mentioned before on this blog, one of my reasons for wanting to lose weight and improve my general is to increase my chances of a healthy pregnancy some day. I'm still not entirely sure that a pregnancy is in my future. . . but just in case.

Gotta pay attention now. . .

0 comments: