Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The choice for me: drug-free

As of last night, I have come to a decision: I am stopping Zoloft and birth control pills. I didn't get to see my doctor yesterday due to a scheduling snafu at their office, and she didn't return my call. But regardless, I have decided to go off my medications.

SL & I can certainly use an alternate method of birth control (though he's not really happy about my decision). And I just don't feel that my depression was ever severe enough to justify dealing with the side effects I have had. The low energy, sleepiness, and most of all, the 25+ weight gain in 6 months, are not worth it to me.

Sure, I will probably be irritable again and will probably have some low times emotionally. But frankly, weighing over 220 lbs MAKES ME DEPRESSED. So does having low energy. I do not think that the benefit I have received from this drug is worth the side effects.

So that's that. I am weaning myself off the Zoloft gradually so I don't get SSRI withdrawal, and I have only 3 BCPs left in this pack. By the end of next week, 95% of the drugs should be out of my system. And then I'll see how I feel.

0 comments: