Friday, May 19, 2006

TGIF!

OK, so it is almost 3:00 in the afternoon, and so far, I have accomplished practically nothing today. I spent an hour-and-a-half in court this morning, just for the hearing to be continued by the defense; I attended a 45-minute team meeting; and I took a long lunch to celebrate the birthday one of our secretaries. Wonder how much I will get done in the next three hours. . .

I did find out something interesting today. My fervent hope when I came to work at the prosecutor's office was not to prosecute misdemeanor offenses or property crimes (which is what I have done so far), but to prosecute sex crimes and child abuse cases. (Side note for readers who may not know: I was a nurse before becoming a lawyer, and I have a strong interest in children's issues.)

There will soon be one or two openings on the "special victims unit" in our office, where these types of cases are handled. Apparently the supervisor of that unit is interested in having me come to the unit! Two other attorneys in the office have been "campaigning" to go to that unit, but she would rather have me. (According to my "source," she thinks I am a more "solid" attorney.)

I am not sure that this is a challenge I want just yet. . . I have only been a prosecutor for about 18 months. . . but it is nice to know that I am wanted. The supervisor (a prosecutor with >20 years of experience) must have a high opinion of me to prefer me over the other two, both of whom are good trial attorneys and one of whom is a "pet" of the elected official who runs the office. That was nice to hear.

SL & I are going to dinner tonight with a friend of his who is graduating from the firefighters' academy tomorrow. The friends' parents are in town, too, so it'll be the 5 of us. Not sure yet exactly when/where we are going.

Tomorrow evening we are going to a major league baseball game. That should be fun. SL pointed out that our team has not won at the 3 games we have attended, so I hope they win tomorrow.

What else to tell? I broke down and bought a few "fat clothes." It's blistering hot out. That's about all that's new.

Glad it's the weekend!

0 comments: