Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Back in trial attorney mode

I started my trial today. Things are progressing pretty quickly: I have already presented all my witnesses. In the morning, we will discuss a few legal issues out of the presence of the jury, then the defense will decide whether they are going to present any evidence. The defendant has no prior convictions, so he might testify himself. It will be exciting for me if he does--I don't often get the chance to cross-examine defendants.

The defense attorney is very experienced: he graduated from law school the same year I graduated from high school! (And I spent almost 6 of the intervening years in college, 7 years working as a nurse, and 3 years in law school.) I had had brief encounters with him before, and frankly thought he was a bit of a pompous ass, but he has been very professional and courteous throughout the trial thus far, which I appreciate. It sure makes for a long day in court when you have an a$$hole as opposing counsel. . . I know this because it's happened to me more than once in the past.

Other than trial, not too much going on. I am finally getting around to doing the 5 loads of laundry I didn't do on Sunday. (It would've been 6, but SL did one load last night because he was out of clothes for work.) I know it sounds crazy, but I actually like doing laundry. The only part I don't like is putting it away.

SL is taking me to see a performance of Les Miserables (with the Broadway cast) tomorrow night. I'm excited! I didn't even know the show was going to be in town; he found out all on his own and bought us tickets. What makes that extra special is that he despises musicals, but he knows I love Les Mis so he decided to go for me. Awwwww. . . what a good boyfriend. I saw Les Mis on Broadway in October 1999 and loved it. I have the soundtrack and listen to it in my car to & from work often. I not only love the show for itself, but it also reminds me of that very fun weekend I had with my sister in Manhattan in fall 1999.

I've been doing well with my walking this week. I've gotten up yesterday and today and walked Sebastian; Monday for 30 minutes, today for 22 (hit snooze, oops). I plan to go again tomorrow, and in fact, every day this week. Getting regular exercise really does help my energy level. And of course, Sebastian loves going for walks. After only a few days, he starts to expect to go every morning. I'm sure he'd go twice a day, given the opportunity.

SL has claimed that he was going to go walk with us both days, but so far he has flaked out twice. I think he has more stress at work than he lets on--he doesn't talk much to me about work because he "doesn't want to think about it" when he's not there. Unlike me, he is apt to internalize his feelings, partly because he's a guy and partly because of the way he was raised. (Neither of his parents are what you'd call communicative; none of them hug, kiss, or have ever said "I love you" to each other.)

Anyway, I think his work stress interferes with his sleep. It also often leads him to drinking a beer or two to relax, which further interferes with sleep. He is out tonight doing his side job for work. When we talked a little after 7 PM, he asked me to make sure he goes to bed early tonight. I plan to do my best; he certainly is stubborn, though. I often suggest things to help him unwind and sleep better, but he almost never takes my advice.

Last night after work I went to the mall to get some nice pantyhose to wear for trial. While at Macy's, I found 3 button-down shirts and a pair of pants that I liked, and they were all on sale for less than $20 each. So I bought 'em. I actually need clothes for work because I have gained so much f$%^in' weight that most of the clothes I have no longer fit my fat a$$.

Ta ta for now.

0 comments: