Sunday, August 13, 2006

I got the ring!!

Such a naughty blogger! I should've written an entry sooner. I'll try to bring things up to date.

SL gave me my engagement ring on Friday!! It is exactly what I wanted (& what I posted on here a few weeks ago: http://lovesseabass.blogspot.com/2006/07/back-to-work-ugh_05.html ). It was kind-of a surprise because he had told me that it wouldn't arrive until next week. He had come to work to pick me up (he had car trouble, so he was driving mine) and snuck it onto my desk while I wasn't looking. He said later that he'd planned to wait until dinner that night, but couldn't wait any longer. Cute. A few of my friends at work were still at the office, so I got to show the ring off a little bit.

I tried to take some digital pics to post and show how it looks on my hand, but none of them turned out right, no matter how I set the flash. Ah well.

SL & I went to stay at the resort as planned yesterday for his birthday. To put it in a nutshell: the evening was not what we had hoped. He didn't like the hotel's restaurant where we had his birthday dinner; didn't care for any of the entrees on the menu, so his birthday dinner was soup & salad. (The restaurant was quite over-priced for the portion size & the mediocre food.) I felt nauseous during dinner and left the table once because I thought I might hurl. SL & I ended up having a fight later in the evening, so I went home and he stayed in the room by himself. Not exactly a great birthday memory.

Well, things are OK today. We talked and both apologized for our respective roles in the fiasco. And I told him that for his 32nd birthday next year, he is going to pick where he wants to go to avoid a repeat of this experience. :)

I hadn't done laundry (but for one necessary load) in almost 2 weeks, so I did 6 loads today. Whew. We both have clothes to wear now. (Except that one of my trial suits needs to go to the cleaners in the morning, or I will have nothing to wear for the 3rd day of my trial!)

Really, not too much else going on. Eating this weekend was just so-so: I didn't count points, but didn't really eat that badly. And I don't generally exercise on the weekends, and didn't this weekend.

SL's "birthday resolution" (his words, not mine) is to go back to the gym. He really enjoys working out: he played football & wrestled in high school--and was recruited for colleges in both sports, but didn't play--and used to power lift competitively in college. Ever since he started his current job last October(!), he gets out of work later and had quit going to the gym with our friend F as he used to.

I have seen a difference in SL since he has not been working out. Not only has he gained weight, his stress level is really high. We both have equally stressful jobs--we're both lawyers--but he doesn't have as many outlets for his stress: like many men, he doesn't talk about his feelings to anyone (he will to me, but only with prodding). Frankly, I worry about him; he is only 31, about 60-70 lbs overweight, uses smokeless tobacco, drinks more than he probably should, and has already been diagnosed with high blood pressure & put on medication for it.

I am 100% in support of his decision to get back to the gym. He needs it on so many levels. He has asked me to go with him for support and encouragement (as we all know, just getting your a$$ there is more than half the battle), and I'm on board. I've been doing the Buff Brides workouts in the evenings 3 nights a week anyway; I can just do my strength training at the gym instead of at home. If he ends up wanting to go more than 3 evenings a week, I will just do an extra workout on the elliptical trainer.

I'm back on track full steam tomorrow! Wish me luck. :)

0 comments: