Sunday, August 20, 2006

Wine & Whiskey

SL & I have spent most of the day napping. Our engagement party was last night, and we were up until after 1 am (which is VERY late for me!).
We had over 20 friends there. It was fun! Basically, it was a BBQ with the added occasion of celebrating our engagement. Everyone complimented the food, which was all made by SL: he grilled brats & burgers and made his homemade potato & macaroni salads.
I think the guests had fun, too. Lots of our friends already knew each other, but some did not. I hope the fact that everyone had a chance to get to know each other a little at this party will add to their enjoyment of our wedding in April.
Two of the friends at our party were pregnant, both due mid-January. One of the dads is SL's friend from law school; the other dad is a friend of ours from my office (who is also SL's best man). The moms didn't even really look pregnant to me yet, though SL said he thought they were "showing." One of the couples is telling people about the baby, while the other is keeping it under wraps for a little while longer.
We received 8(!) bottles of wine as gifts! Funniest part of that is they were all different brands & varieties. My friend M brought a 1.75-liter bottle of Bushmill's Irish Whiskey, and SL and 3-4 of our male guests polished it off. That's a LOT of frickin' whiskey for 4-5 people!
Oddly, on some level, I feel more "officially" engaged now that we had the party. (Having my engagement ring helps, too.) I know that we have a wedding date set and ceremony & reception sites reserved. . . but somehow having the party makes it seem more real to me. Strange.
Not much else going on. I should probably do some stuff around the house and some laundry, but I'm in a lazy mood. That stuff can wait until sometime during the week.
I didn't weigh myself the last two mornings; just forgot. My eating wasn't TOO bad at last night's party, and I only had 2 glasses of white wine to drink.
Last week's exercise: we went to the gym once to lift weights, and I walked about 2 miles 3 out of 5 mornings. I hope this coming week we will make it to the gym 3 nights, and I plan to walk 5 days this week. That's the plan!

0 comments: