Saturday, July 29, 2006

Buff Bride-to-be

SL is snoring on the couch, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to update my blog.
I just got in from running a few errands. I went to Trader Joe's and picked up lots of healthy eats for the week. I also visited Play It Again Sports and bought an exercise ball and some 8# dumbbells. I stopped in to a Joann's and looked at the satins, too.
Buff Brides came in the mail today! (Side note: I had planned to buy the book, but someone on the Weight Watchers message boards was kind enough to mail me her--mostly unused--copy for free.) I plan to start the 24-week program on Monday; that's why I bought the exercise ball & dumbbells. It seems like a good basic, sensible weight-lifting program. Our wedding is exactly 36 weeks from today, so I would actually have time to do both programs outlined in the book: there is a 24-week program & a 12-week program.
I have been looking in bridal magazines and online at a lot of wedding dresses lately. I do NOT want to get married at my current size! And I am really leaning toward wearing a strapless dress. . . which means any toning of the upper body I can accomplish between now & the wedding will certainly be noticed. :) I have an appointment at David's Bridal on Monday evening to try on dresses and get an idea for what different styles look like on me.
My enthusiasm for WW has waned somewhat, but I am determined to keep at the weight loss thing. (I have forgotten to weigh myself the past several mornings, but suspect I am staying about the same, based on the way my clothes fit.) Exercise usually has a big impact on my weight loss, and I am hoping that starting this Buff Brides program will inspire me.
I did manage to get my lazy a$$ up to walk on Wed, Thu, & Fri this last week. The Buff Brides program has you lifting weights 3 days a week and working out aerobically for at least 25 minutes the other 4 days a week. I am going to modify this slightly: I am going to follow the weight-lifting schedule to the letter (in the evenings), but I am going to walk in the mornings, Mon to Fri, 5 days a week. The route Sebastian & I walk takes 35-40 minutes, depending on my pace. I don't think it will do any harm for me to add additional aerobic exercise: unlike many brides-to-be who buy the book, I am looking not only to tone up but to also lose weight.
If I end up taking my friend KK up on her offer to sew my dress, I actually have about 30 weeks to lose as much weight/inches as I can. I really think that if I make a constant and whole-hearted effort, I can go down 2-3 dress sizes between now and then.
In other wedding news. . . SL & I sent out the evite for our engagement party. It is going to be a small, BBQ/pool party at our complex's clubhouse. I hope people come! So far only 3 friends have RSVP'd yes, 2 maybes, and 4 no's. The majority of people invited have not yet RSVP'd. It is a ways off yet: August 19th.
SL & I are going to spend a night at a nearby resort for his 31st birthday! We made a reservation this week. We are fortunate to live in a city with many beautiful resorts; this particular one is less than 15 minutes from home. It'll be relaxing, and we got an AWESOME summertime rate.

0 comments: