Saturday, May 10, 2008

Burst of energy


I woke up feeling quite energetic today. . . . unusual for me on any day lately, but especially on a Saturday! I was awake by 6:30 without my alarm and was up out of bed starting my morning routine within 10 minutes of waking up--another rarity.

I've taken advantage of this unexpected energy this morning by getting some stuff done early. I went to the gym (did 32 minutes on the elliptical trainer and rowed for 7 minutes), had a smoothie, dropped house keys off to the dogsitter, and am now at work. And it's not even noon here.

I really don't much want to be at the office today, but I have several tasks I must complete today because I will be out of the office on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday next week. I have a stack of documents about 5-6 inches tall that I have to review and redact, and I am not looking forward to that! Plus I have to respond to motions by two plaintiffs who are representing themselves, a challenge on many different levels. Obviously, non-lawyers don't always understand the law or the rules of court procedure, so that's one difficulty; they are also more likely to get inappropriately emotional in their court filings. Additionally, one of these unrepresented plaintiffs is a convicted felon in prison and the other is a "hobby litigator" (my term for someone who likes to file lawsuits for the "fun" of it) . . . . both difficult types of plaintiffs to deal with. Ugh.

Ah well, this is the way of life when you're the low man on the totem pole. I'm going to be stuck with this crap work for months and years to come. ;-) In addition to the "crap work," I have to catch up on some memos and correspondence and the like. Fun, fun, fun.

Last night I had a nice, relaxing evening at home alone with Sebastian. (MM was out to dinner with his parents.) It was a long and stressful week at work. In addition to several deadlines, I was involved in helping one of the partners prepare for a trial which starts on Monday. The stress level for everyone in the office is higher right before trial, just because there are so many last-minute things that have to be done. So it was good to just lie on the couch and read a novel for hours.

Once I complete my required tasks at work today--which I estimate will take 4-5 hours--I'll head home and have only a short break before I'll have to get ready to go to MM's for the evening. We're going to do the typical Saturday night dinner-and-a-movie date: he wants to see Ironman, and we'll have dinner at Buca di Beppo (yum!). I'm looking forward to being with MM, as always. ;-)

Not much else new to report. I ran into a lawschool classmate of mine at the gym who I had probably not seen since graduation. She told me that another classmate (someone I never see or talk with) had twins a couple of months ago. That news brings my mental tally of lawschool classmates who've had a baby in the past 12 months to 10. That number doesn't even include folks who are currently pregnant or had a child more than a year ago--or, obviously, anyone I don't see or hear about. Crazy. Do we really want all these lawyers reproducing? LOL

BTW: I have not been able to totally quit caffeine ("I wish I could quit you, caffe mocha"), but I have cut back. I now only get a single shot of espresso and that only on the days I "need" it. (I define "need" as waking up feeling tired or headache-y or having difficulty concentrating or focusing.) I only had coffee two days out of five this past workweek. So some progress has been made in overcoming my addiction, and I haven't been suffering with horrible headaches and exhaustion. I really don't think that caffeine in moderation is all that terrible.