Sunday, April 02, 2006

Lazy Sunday


Whenever I have to coordinate leisure activities with other people--particularly men--I am reminded of why I have remained unmarried . . .

SL had not seen his cousin E, who lives in Alaska, north of Anchorage, for 4-5 years. E was due to be passing through our city on his way to a nearby town for a short business trip. SL knew that E would only be in town for a couple of hours. The plan was that we would have either lunch or dinner with E during his time in town.

Early last week, I asked SL to find out exactly what time we would be getting together with E so that I could make plans to go to a movie with my friend A. (Side note: I had not gone anywhere with A in over 6 months, and SL was aware of this.) SL told me that E would be arriving "in the afternoon," and that we would be having an "early dinner" with him. I pressed SL for further details: what time? Ultimately, SL said he anticipated getting together at 4 pm. Based on this information, I researched theaters and movie times and set up a movie date with A for noon on Sunday.

Friday evening, SL said he had "finally talked to" E, and that he would be arriving at 11:00 am! Obviously I cannot be at a movie with A at noon if I am having lunch with SL & his cousin at 11:00! So I had to cancel my plans with A. And we cannot reschedule for weeks because she is out of town next weekend and the following weekend is Easter. (sigh)

Why is it that men are incapable of making firm plans? Unlike SL, I do not habitually spend my weekend days lying on the couch watching TV. After almost 14 months of being with me, one would think that SL would be well aware of this. Now, because I had to change my Sunday plans last minute, I have had a most unproductive Sunday.

To top it off, SL was insistent that he HAD TO go and see Slither at the theater today. . . despite the fact that we have 3 unwatched Netflix at home. I had absolutely no interest in seeing Slither, so he went alone.

I don't even know what else to say.

0 comments: