Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Odd Wednesday

My day got off to an unexpected start today when I was awakened a little after 5 am by a migraine. I have had migraines off and on since I was 15 years old. I now have a prescription for Imitrex, and it helps tremendously (always at least relieving some of the pain and all of the associated symptoms--nausea, light sensitivity, dizziness). The only downside to Imitrex for me is that it makes me very, very drowsy. After taking two doses, I was in no shape to drive to the office, let alone try to do any work. In addition to my drowsiness, reading and working on the computer are also two of the things that are likely to trigger headaches for me.

So instead of being at work today, as I would be almost every Wednesday, I slept intermittently until about 1 pm, then tried to take it easy to avoid re-starting my headache. I shudder to think of all the things that will be waiting for my attention when I return to my office tomorrow afternoon (I will be out of the office in the morning, helping with an arson mock trial). Ah well. It's just one of those things.

I could certainly be worse off. I don't have allergies, gastrointestinal issues, asthma, seizures, diabetes, or any other of a host of chronic illnesses I could have and that other friends and family members of mine cope with. My migraines have never been that frequent either, thank God: I rarely get more than 2-3 a month. And they vary in their severity.

I feel ill-prepared for my role in tomorrow's mock trial. Normally, I wouldn't really stress about it--it's not a real trial and I have been sick--but the head of my division is my mock trial judge tomorrow. Ugh. He is my boss's boss, and a rather intimidating fellow to boot. Well, this, too, shall pass.

0 comments: