Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rocky Point

Last weekend MM and I went to stay at my friends L and M's beach house in Puerto Penasco, Mexico.  Although Puerto Penasco--or "Rocky Point," as it is commonly called--is a frequent weekend destination for folks living in southern Arizona, I had never been there.  (I'd planned a couple of trips there in law school, both of which had to be aborted for various reasons.)
MM really didn't want to go on the trip.  For one, he hates long car trips, and it is a minimum four-hour drive each direction.  Also, he isn't crazy about Mexico in general and worries that he will be robbed, his car will be stolen, something he eats or drinks will make him sick, or he will be grievously injured and unable to get adequate medical care.  (Worry much?  Nah!)  Also, MM had made a counter-offer on his place on Friday afternoon, and by the time we got to the border, he had not heard back from his realtor. . . . and we moved out of cell signal range.
Despite his reluctance, MM went anyway because he likes my friends who were going and he loves me.  (Awww. . . . . )
Our drive down was uneventful, and we arrived around 10:30 pm.  My friends had already arrived, and we had fun chatting out on the balcony with the ocean breeze in the air.  Before bed, we played a friendly game of Trivial Pursuit; I hadn't played in a long time, and it was a lot of fun.
When I awoke the next morning, L was having a cup of coffee, and we decided to take a walk on the beach with our dogs.  Sebastian got his first-ever chance to see the ocean, and he loved it!  He rolled in the tidal pools and the sand and ran and ran.
After everyone was up and about, we headed into "town" for some sightseeing and lunch.  We had a tasty bite at the Thirsty Parrot, but bought nothing: all the stores had the same crap we'd seen for sale in Nogales in April.  Here's a shot of MM and me in the middle of "town."
Saturday night, the whole crew had a yummy dinner and drinks, followed by some karaoke.  "Pablo" was our "karaoke facilitator"--MM's title for him.  It was the first time ever that I've gone to karaoke and literally every person who sang had a good voice and could carry a tune.  Bizarre.
I sang "I Will Survive."  It was MM's first time seeing me karaoke, and he was quite impressed.  He knew I could sing, of course--I sing all the time at home--but he didn't know I could "perform."  LOL
Sunday we slept in, had a quick lunch, and headed back home.  We were lucky to only wait 40 minutes at the border.  I took a few photos on the journey of some sights I'd noticed on the way down, but couldn't photograph because (a) it was dark, and (b) MM was in a tearing rush.  (Even on the way home, I had to take the photos on the fly because he didn't want to stop!)
I had a great time!  I absolutely loved the beach house; it was so relaxing to be near the ocean again; and I enjoyed seeing my friends.  Not a thing was lacking in the weekend: good setting, good friends, and fun.  I can't wait to go back. . . .
P.S. Didn't know I had ancestors in Ajo, Arizona! 


Emily Canady said...

Wow, the place looks amazing, well the view, the ocean that is. And you guys look so freaking cute. Sounds like a wonderful relaxing time. I'm so jealous. I've always wanted to go to Mexico but I've never been... someday :)

Land family said...

Good for you for getting away! When we lived in Sierra Vista, we went to Nogales frequently (whoopty do) but I never made it to that part of Mexico. My husband had all the same fears as MM. Glad you had fun.