Sunday, July 13, 2008

10%

210.0 (ugh)

MM and I have been talking for a while about the possibility of my going with him and his parents to Maui the week of Thanksgiving.  (They have had this trip planned for over a year; they are going primarily to attend the Maui Invitational Tournament in which Indiana U--MM's alma mater--is playing.)  Among other things, I want to snorkel, hike, and bike while in Maui and take full advantage of the outdoor beauty there. 

I've been searching for a weight loss inspiration for a while, and I'm thinking that perhaps this trip could be it.  I would be in a much better position to enjoy all this if I lost some weight.  I'd also look better, but I'm more focused on the fact that I'd have lots more energy.

During the spring semester of my second year of law school, back in early 2003, I successfully lost 35 lbs in less than 4 months.  My Weight Watchers starting weight in January 2003 was 212.2, so pretty close to what I weigh currently.  (Obviously, I petered out before getting to my ideal body weight and subsequently regained, but anyway. . .) 

For our Maui trip, I wouldn't even set the bar that high: I would be thrilled just to get down to 190.  That essentially translates into just losing about 10% of my current weight.  Given that I lost 35 lbs in 4 months before, I think a 20-lb weight loss in a little over 4 months is totally doable.  I certainly have the knowledge and the tools to make it happen; it's just a matter of actually DOING IT!

The following photo was taken Memorial Day weekend 2007, at which time I was weighing in the low 220s.  (The two lovely ladies with me are my long-time friends H and D.) I've posted this to remind myself that weight-wise, I am already quite a bit better off than I was just a little over a year ago.  I just need to get back in that hard-working groove.

2 comments:

K said...

Maui sounds like fun! And your goal sounds very doable. I've never done Weight Watchers before, but I was very successful on Jenny Craig.

You can do it!

Valerie said...

Maui is excellent motivation. Now, if I could just find some myself. ;)