Saturday, March 11, 2006

Rain in the desert at last?

We are having some very atypical weather today, at least for the desert Southwest: it has been overcast and windy all day. Yet despite the wind & clouds, NO RAIN! We are in the middle of a drought, and I for one much prfer a nice rainy day to a windy, dusty one.

I had hoped to take Sebastian for a walk on the river path this morning, but I didn't take him because of the yucky weather. I hope it is clear tomorrow; Sebastian & I have plans to go hiking with my friend W & his 2 dogs. And W is moving to Phoenix soon, so Sebastian has to spend his quality time with the dogs while he can.

I had also intended to go into my office and work for a few hours today. SL left for his office at 1:00 and is just now heading home. I didn't go to the office, however, because I was engrossed in a good book. I read my first book by Greg Iles this past week--The Footprints of God--and now I am reading Blood Memory. I love finding a new author I like! Once I finally pulled myself away from the book, I got on the internet to look up some Core recipes on the Weight Watchers website and ended up visiting several weight loss websites & blogs looking for inspiration.

I did get a few things accomplished around the house. . . sorting through some clutter, balancing my checkbook, cleaning the kitchen (including cleaning out the fridge, yuck), general tidying up. I hope to get a few more things done around the house later this evening, too. I can always go to work tomorrow for a couple of hours, or even go in early on Monday morning, if need be.

Tonight I am going to discuss with SL my desire to start eating healthfully again and ask for his support. I'm sure he will be on board; he is always wanting to lose weight, too, and was just remarking this afternoon how fat he feels. Plus he much prefers eating in to eating out most of the time. He also just bought a new crockpot and is looking forward to cooking with it; I'm the only one who's used it so far.

I'm going to get SL to help me plan out some healthful dinners for the week. I'm also going to buy some fresh veggies & fruit, more of my favorite high fiber cereals, & some whole grain bread & sandwich meat for lunches.

Not only is planning meals ahead & making them yourself better for you. . . it's a heck of a lot cheaper, too. While going over my monthly budget today, I started thinking about how I can reallocate some resources so that I can do some traveling this year. (With my current salary, student loans, and car payment, that has not been an option recently.) If I save a little money each month (which I could easily do by eating out less), I should be able to take a short trip somewhere this summer. Maybe more than one trip, depending on where I go. I love to travel, and having a vacation planned gives me something to look forward to. Considering that starting in mid-April I have 10 trials scheduled in 7 weeks, I have a feeling that come July, I'm going to need a break!

As I sit here finishing this entry, it has finally started to rain! HOORAY!!

0 comments: