Monday, September 28, 2009

I'm back. . . .


MM and I returned from our vacation yesterday evening.  I had a great time!  It was wonderful seeing my sister and my nephew and spending time with them; I saw some new things in DC which I hadn't visited before, along with some old favorites (I love that city); I got to see two of my law school friends; and the weather was very good, with only one day of rain.

I will post some of the best of the photos I took when I get around to uploading and editing them.  Tonight, I hope.  I'll also talk about the sightseeing highlights of our trip for those who may be planning their own trip to DC and for preserving my memories of them.

It is possible that this trip to DC may be our last, at least for some time: my sister has been interviewing for an in-house counsel position with a major corporation which is headquartered in North Carolina.  She has been through two phone interviews so far and will be traveling to NC soon for a face-to-face panel interview.  Should she be offered and accept this position, they will be relocating to NC, giving us much less reason and opportunity to visit DC. 

Given my eating habits during our trip, I was pleasantly surprised to see the number on the scale this morning.  I am only slightly above the range where I've been hanging out for the past several months, and I know that I am retaining water because of the way my rings and shoes fit.  So on today's agenda, along with catching up at work and getting back into my routine, is water, water, water.  (I am already on my second 16-oz glass, and it's only 9:00 a.m. here.)

I've been wanting to become an early (or perhaps I should say "earlier") riser for some time, so this morning I took full advantage of the fact that my body clock is still set for the Eastern time zone.  I got up at 6:40 a.m.--which is probably not early for a lot of people, but many days I am in bed until 8:00--and took the goldens for a quick 20-minute walk in the neighborhood.  (They were full of pent-up energy: their dogsitter couldn't walk them on Saturday or Sunday because Hunter's collar mysteriously disappeared.)

I was at the office shortly before it opened at 8:30 a.m., coffee in hand and (relatively) healthful breakfast (apple slices and cheddar cheese cubes) eaten.  I had already sorted through my inbox of 164 email messages last night upon returning home, so I am now working through my paper inbox and reading and addressing the less than 40 emails that actually required a response or action from me.

I am wearing makeup and feel full of energy.  I should really do this getting up earlier thing more often!

I think MM is finally starting to rub off on me: I actually unpacked fully last night within an hour of our arrival at our house!  That is nearly unheard-of for me; often I still have packed bags a week or two after a trip, or at least until I need something I haven't unpacked.  I still need to do my laundry tonight, but it is sorted and just waiting to be stuck in the washer.

I feel refreshed and relaxed.  Wish I could take a week-long vacation once a quarter or so.  ;-)


Flying Monkeys said...

Welcome home!

I'm hovering too but last week I went to pilates twice, yoga once and did week 1 of the couch to 5K, so small steps.