Monday, May 04, 2009

Weekend recap

In addition to bringing Hunter home, I had a very busy (and fun!) weekend.

Friday night MM and I drove down to Tucson to join K and several other friends for a performance at the Gaslight Theatre. I hadn't been to anything there since probably my first or second year of law school, and it was a lot of fun. MM doesn't even like live theater (and hates musicals), and he enjoyed it, too, to his surprise.

It was fun to see K and celebrate her birthday with her. We also enjoyed seeing the others friends there and chatting with friends L and M, who graciously allowed us to spend the night at their house so that we wouldn't have to drive back to Phoenix at 11:00 p.m.

Saturday morning, MM and I visited M at the home of her adoptive parents. Her adoption is not a "done deal" yet, but M is now spending every weekend with the Ls, from Friday night through Monday morning. She will continue with this routine for the next few weeks, until school ends for the year, at which time she will move in with the Ls full-time.

I was looking forward to meeting Mr. and Mrs. L. Everything I've heard about them is positive, and Mrs. L and I had talked on the phone, but it was nice to actually meet them face-to-face. M seemed content at their house and showed us around with great pride. She loves her bedroom--which has been specially painted with "fairy dust" and Tinkerbell and decorated with Hannah Montana posters she chose--and knows the names of all four dogs.

MM also had a favorable impression of the Ls, which means a lot to me because I consider him to be, in many ways, a better judge of people than I. He is slightly more cynical, and because of his job, is used to evaluating people's veracity and sincerity. Whether because of his job or otherwise, he is far more observant about other people than I and will often notice things that I will not, or at least will notice them sooner.

On our way home, we picked up Hunter in Tempe. As I have blogged about his first days in our home at length in another post, suffice it to say that Saturday afternoon and evening were mainly taken up with helping Hunter adjust to our home, save an hour or so to grab dinner at Red Robin.

Sunday morning, the dogs had me up by 6:30, and I could not go back to sleep (rare for me). Although I was tired, being awakened so early had the unintended consequence of allowing me to do the majority of my household chores before leaving for a bridal shower at 11:30. In fact, I got more down before 9:00 a.m. on Sunday than I often get done all day on Sundays!

The surprise bridal shower (interesting concept, right?) for a coworker took place at a local thoroughbred race track called Turf Paradise. I had never been there before and had quite a good time, despite losing all of the $12 I wagered. We were inside in the air conditioning--a must when the high temp is in the 90s--and had a yummy lunch while watching the racing.

After the shower, I was able to relax at home for a couple of hours with my latest read (In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto) before heading out to meet BFF KC for dinner. Sunday was KC's birthday, and I really wanted to celebrate with her! (She doesn't usually make a big deal out of her birthday, but I subscribe to a different philosophy on that issue.) We had a yummy dinner at one of her favorite restaurants, and then were in time to catch a showing of Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (we both love Matthew McConaughey).

While I was home relaxing and out to dinner, MM was out with his parents for an early Mothers Day dinner because we will be in San Antonio next Sunday. He returned home around the same time my movie started and took the boys to the park for their nightly exercise.

All in all, a great weekend.

0 comments: