Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Back to life

216.0 (at home this morning)
218.8 (at JC WI this evening)

I lost 3.0 lbs at this week's weigh-in, but that is hardly to my credit or due to my healthy choices. Up until this morning, I have barely been able to eat since Friday night. I'll take a loss any way I can get it, but feeling ill for three days stinks!

I flew to Houston last Friday to visit my friend D and her family. Aside from getting a bit of a late start from the local airport, the trip was uneventful. It was great to see D and her children, who have obviously grown quite a bit in the 19 months since I saw them last (they are 7, 9, and almost 11). The boys and I were looking forward to spending a fun Saturday together.

About an hour after I went to bed, I woke up with diarrhea and was up about every other hour the rest of the night. I also had awful nausea. Instead of playing with the boys, I ended up laying around most of Saturday--aside from a trip to Target to buy PeptoBismol. Not exactly the fun visit with "Miss S" that they had anticipated.

I only tried to eat more than dry toast twice during the whole trip, both times with undesirable consequences: one time I vomited, the other time I didn't, but felt nauseous and bloated for about 6 hours after the meal. Ugh.

Still and all, I did get to spend time with D and chat with her face-to-face. Despite my illness, we also went to a BBQ that my friend H--who lives in a different part of the Houston metro area--hosted in honor of her younger daughter's baptism. It was good to see H and her family again. I couldn't believe how much her older daughter had grown, and I had never seen her younger daughter (aged nearly 8 months) except in photos.

I have finally started feeling back to normal this afternoon. I have had no more nausea/vomiting/diarrhea since yesterday, but felt weak, bloated, and tired until after lunch. . . . despite getting nearly 13 hours of sleep upon returning home. I think I am gradually getting rehydrated.

I am a lousy patient, as I seldom get sick and usually shake things off quickly when I do. I hope this will be the last illness I will have to deal with for a while.

I am going to be seeing D & H in New Mexico in a few weeks. (We all have an event we are attending there.) So I'm happy about that.

In addition to my loss of 3 lbs this week, one other desirable side effect of my illness is that my stomach has shrunk. That should make it easier for me to stay on track with my JC plan this week.

I have a job interview on Friday! To make a long story short, a former co-worker of mine called and told me about an opportunity at the firm she will be leaving shortly for a new position. I emailed them my resume right after lunch and by two o'clock, I had a call to schedule an interview. I don't want to say too much more about the position, for fear of jinxing myself. I am hopeful, though.

Funny how these things happen. The colleague who called is not someone who knows me well, and didn't know that I was looking for a job; she just happened to think of me as someone who would be a good fit to fill her shoes once she leaves the job. I am choosing to view this as a positive harbinger of good karma. Perhaps the universe has decided that, after the difficult past two months or so that I've had, it's time for some positive change in my life.

The position is in Tucson and would mean at least $12,000 more a year, with the hope of making more $$ in the future. It might be just what the doctor ordered, if I get it. We'll see.

Not much else going on here. I won last week's trial, a home burglary. It was a brief, but fun trial; the jury returned a guilty verdict in about 20 minutes: a record for me. Even the judge's bailiff, who is notoriously pro-defense, said she would've convicted on these facts. LOL ;-)

Next trial is 6/12. . . a lovely possession of crack cocaine charge.

0 comments: